The Tsitsikamma Section of the Garden Route National Park is a pristine section of coastline in the Eastern Cape.
The walk to the suspension bridge at the mouth of the Storm’s River was always a much-anticipated outing on family holidays to Plett and Knysna (the Park is close enough to both for a day-trip). In recent times, I have visited the Park for the running of the annual Otter African Trail run, which ends at the Storm’s River Mouth Rest Camp.
The Park includes one of the oldest Marine Protected Areas in Africa.
- The Otter Trail: 5 day hike along the coast, starting at Storm’s River Mouth Rest Camp and ending in Nature’s Valley at the De Vasselot Rest Camp.
- Waterfall Trail: the first couple of kilometres of the Otter Trail. Gives you an idea of the Trail, ending at the impressive waterfall which tumbles into the sea.
- Storm’s River Trail: walk from the restaurant at the Storm’s River Mouth Rest Camp to the suspension bridges at the mount of the Storm’s River.
- Salt River Mouth Trail: walk through indigenous trees on the dunes of Nature’s Valley to the mouth of the Salt River and back along the rocks to Nature’s Valley Beach.
- Storm’s River Mouth Rest Camp: campsites, caravan sites, chalets
- De Vasselot Rest Camp: campsites, Forest Hut chalets