I recently paid a visit to the small town of Clanwilliam to participate in the Freshpak Fitness Festival.
Getting there: Clanwilliam is 230km from Cape Town up the N7 . Pass through Malmesbury, Piketberg, and Citrusdal. You will see the Clanwilliam Dam on your right, and will pass the dam wall before taking a right turn onto the R364.
GPS Coordinates: -32.17781, 18.89303
Nestled at the foot of the Cederberg mountains, Clanwilliam is one of the ten oldest towns in South Africa.
The highlight of this little town, and the focus of much activity, is the Clanwilliam Dam which is renowned as the best in the Western Cape for water skiing. It is also popular with anglers.
The town is the centre of the Rooibos tea industry in the Cederberg with factory visits and rooibos products on offer. You will also have noticed large citrus orchards, and some vineyards.
- Clanwilliam Dam Municipal Park offers camping on the banks of the dam as well as some chalets
- Lebanon Citrus Holiday Farm
Things to do:
- The annual Freshpak Fitness Festival takes place in October
- The Ramskop Wild Flower Garden is a hidden gem
- Visit Rooibos Ltd for a cup of tea and a video show about Rooibos tea (Tel: +27 (0) 27 482 2155)