Last year’s Langebaan Lagoon Crossing was heaps of fun so we went back for more this year! The number of entrants had grown considerably, but the fun element was retained and an enjoyable morning on the water was had by all.
The light north-westerly breeze did little more than ripple the water gently. The lagoon water was warm and the tide was out. Everyone gathered at the Langebaan Lagoon Yacht Club for the briefing. The NSRI crew launched their boat from the slipway.
If you look at the Garmin track you will see that I split the adventure into 3 intervals:
- a quick swim from Shark Bay across a channel to the big sandbank
- the walk across the big sandbank
- the swim across the main channel to Kraalbaai
This year saw a massive growth with the number of participants almost doubling! There were: 42 Paddlers, 29 Swimmers, 1 SUP and 4 Land supporters.
- Youngest swimmer: Kate Revello 12
- Youngest paddler: Gia Ceruti 8
- Oldest swimmer: Lynne Pearson (Gia’s Granny, Wonder Women & Floating Duck)
- Oldest paddler: Ray Preston
- First swimmer: David Fox
We were treated to boerewors rolls and energy drinks at the jetty on the beach at Kraalbaai where everyone relaxed in the perfect sunny weather for the morning.
And a link to more photos on Google+ from Melinda Woodhead