So the goal for November was to get myself training again, which I did pretty successfully, which is just as well because December needed to be a BIG month of training for Totalsports.
At the end of an amazing year in which I was so blessed to take part in so many amazing adventures, I would like to take the time to thank:
- my fellow triathletes, especially the IronMan crazies who stood alongside me on the beach that windy April morning
- my new surfski family for helping me get back into paddling, and especially Dawid Mocke for inspiring me, and always making sure there were plenty of laughs
- the NSRI for watching over me in the water
- all the amazing people from so many different walks of life, each with their own story, who are total strangers to me, but add so much to my life each time we set off together on some mad race or adventure: you rock!
My focus for the month was to get as much paddling done as possible to try to build my shoulders up for Totalsports Challenge. With this in mind, I continued rushing to the weekly Sea Dog time trials: the last of 2012 on 07 December was plenty of fun as usual and held in relatively easy conditions. I made my target average speed of 10km/h for the first time. I also completed my first two Downwind Dashes. The New Balance Cape Town Surfer’s Challenge was held in windy conditions at Kommetjie, and the epic annual Peter Creese Lighthouse Race took place in pretty hairy conditions and has me seriously concerned about my idea of “fun” these days.
X Lakes Summer 2012 was a truly amazing sporting event and far surpassed my expectations! Definitely the highlight of my sporting month! Parts of the event took place in the Wilderness Section of the Garden Route National Park, and I think in this instance we can see how an organiser can work with SANParks to make this possible in an ecologically sound manner.
- Brian Curtis Mile: 06 January 2013
- Totalsports Challenge: 12 January 2013
- Paddling Centre Millers Point Match Up: 13 January 2013
- Attakwas Extreme MTB Challenge: 19 January 2013
- Redhill Marathon: 19 January 2013
- IronMan 70.3 East London: 20 January 2013
- Butlers Pizza Milnerton Lagoon Beach Rush: 20 January 2013
- Seaforth Ocean Contest: 27 January 2013
- Westcoast Warmwater Weekend: 1 —3 February 2013
- Epic Kayaks Glen McGregor Finale: 03 February 2013
- XTERRA Grabouw: 20 February 2013
- The Lakes Off-Road Festival: 1 —3 March 2013
- The Argus Cycle Tour: 10 March 2013
- Stilbaai Triathlon: 23 March 2013
- Two Oceans Marathon: 30 March 2013