There are a number of ways to create Courses that you can then upload to and follow on your compatible Garmin GPS unit. Creating the Course on Garmin Connect may well be the simplest, but here is a way to do it with Google Maps.
This is obviously focussed on the unit I own, the Garmin Forerunner 910XT, but will work with other Garmin units that have this feature. You need a copy of Garmin Training Centre installed on your PC (it is a free download).
- Open Google Maps
- Click Get Directions
- Enter a start location (A) and an end location (B). You can enter additional points if you are planning a long route.
- Click Get Directions — the route will be drawn on the map
- Drag either of the endpoint markers if necessary to tidy up the course
- Drag line on map to change course if required — this allows you to select an alternative route to the one Google Maps plots
- Click Save to My Maps
- Click on the KML link — save the KML file
- Open GPSies in your browser
- Click choose file and select the KML file
- Under Convert to select Garmin Course TCX
- Click Convert
- Open Garmin Training Centre
- Select File » Import to Current User Account » Courses
- Select the TCX file
- Click Send to Device